We have all found ourselves on the job market at one point or another in our lifetime. Whether you’re new to the job hunting scene, or just haven’t found that “perfect match”, here are the top 10 job hunting tips to point you in the right direction.
1. Mentally Prepare Yourself. Job hunting can be complicated and takes a great deal of effort. Don’t think of job hunting as something negative, as this can result in low productivity in your search efforts.
2. Customize Your Resume. Your resume is a perfect opportunity to highlight your skills and accomplishments. It is also a great way to customize your experience to reflect key terms in a job description. By not including keywords, your resume may go unnoticed when a company is performing a resume search.
3. Create or Update Your Social Media Accounts. If you haven’t already, creating an account on social media sites like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter provide huge networking opportunities. Make sure to display a professional profile picture, and delete inappropriate photos or posts. A recent survey done by JobVite 93% of hiring managers will review a candidate’s social media profile before making a hiring decision.
4. Join a Niche Job Board. A sure way to get noticed by employers is by joining and uploading your resume into a job board of your industry. For example, a website like CNCJobs.Net is a great website to use if you’re involved in manufacturing & technology while MediaBistro is great for media professionals.
5. Create a Personal Website. https://branded.me/ is the perfect opportunity for you to create your own website to enhance your personal brand. Having your own website sends a message that you are serious about your professional image.
6. Quality Networking. As the old phrase goes “It’s not what you know, but who you know”. LinkedIn is one of the largest professional networks. Not only do you have the opportunity to connect with hiring managers and follow company pages, but you also have an opportunity to get your resume in front of professional recruiters.
7. Sign up For Newsletters. Most job boards and company websites give you an option to sign up for their newsletter when visiting their website. This is the perfect opportunity to receive job alerts for positions you may be interested in, as well as information on new products and services.
8. Be Open to Relocation. This not only opens the door to more job opportunities, but it also increases the chances of a higher paying salary.
9. Apply For an Internship. Is your dream company not hiring? Starting out in an internship may get you noticed and connected with the right people when it comes time to bring on new talent. Not only does this get your “feet wet”, but it also gives you a chance to see the company culture first hand.
10. Learn Something New. Want to learn more about marketing? Hootsuite Podium offers a certified social media marketing course. The more open you are to learning a new skill, the more likely you are to get noticed. Keeping up with technology is very important in this day and age.